Friday, November 21, 2008

Auntie Grace's Departure Flight...... to Heaven

"Kit... wake up... Auntie Grace left already..." I was awaken by mom's voice. I quickly jumped out of bed and the first thing I saw was mom's teary eyes.

It was 8 in the morning. Hospital called to inform that auntie Grace has passed away at 7.35 this morning.

I quickly took my phone and called office to apply for urgent leave. Within half an hour, Mom, Kelvin and I headed to the hospital. All the aunties and sis also reached by the time we were there.

Funny thing was, we all felt thankful to auntie Grace for choosing to leave at the right hour as we all have enough rest. For the rest of the day, it was really busy.

It is weird to say this but I have always wished to be able to help in the funeral so that I can get some experience from this time. When my parents go next time, at least I know what to do.

The funeral will be on Sunday morning.

Finally after so much struggle in life, she left. I am so happy for her as she does not need to suffer in life anymore.

She had a very miserable life. Since young, she admitted to mental hospital as she put too much pressure on herself in studies. Then nothings seems to go right for her during her mid life. She even attempted suicide few times. Mom has pull her up again and again.

When I was in Secondary two, she moved in to stay with us. As her condition still wasn't very good, she always locked herself in my room. There were quarrel between mom and her so many times. When she refused to face the world and only likes to hide in a corner. I was so scared. I see mom cried very often. Everyday after school, I could only sit beside mom's bed to study. I told myself to study hard so that I won't make mom sad. I hated auntie so much that I wished she will die in her next attempt to commit suicide. Of coz it never happened. This went on for years.

Good news was, I really did very well in my studies and made my parents proud.

Her condition got better when she was in her early 40's. I was already in my 20's. Although at times she still made mom angry but she had been more sensible and independent. Mom and a few of my aunties contributed to get a flat beside us.

Only about a year ago that she got tested with cancer. Once again mom's heart broken. Mom accompanied her through all the chemo therapy sessions. Waited there for hours. Walked every steps with her. During auntie grace's last few days, she kept thanking mom for being by her side through thick and thin. She knew she has been very fortunate for having a sister like mom.

For 19 years, mom sacrificed alot for her. So much tears. So much effort. I am glad that mom can finally let down her burden.

Auntie Grace, may you rest in peace in heaven.

1 comment:

MLKC said...

Like I said, it could be a blessing in disguise. It was time for her to go. It was a mix feeling but I am sure every one of her family members and friends would be happy for her to be able to rest in peace.

Take care, bro.